Final Prompt + Homework

My story will be based on black hair. In my video, I want to communicate how authentic and significant hair is to my identity as a black woman.

The overall aesthetic should read as minimal and clean. I want to focus on showcasing all of the elements that go into my video. I want the imagery to be simple and poetic at the same time. As for audio, I would like the music to match the aesthetic of the visuals, I am also considering using my own voice to tell a story or a poem.

For stop motion, Iam considering using drawings , or pages of paper from a black hair magazine. As for the shots I want to capture, I plan to get close-up shots of myself styling my hair. Also shots of my hair products, accessories, styling tools, etc.


HOMEWORK

Nam June Paik - Global Groove, 1973:

This video seemed very true to the time it was made. The music was very, groovy, and upbeat. It included fashion usually associated with the 70’s. Its imagery was very psychedelic. It was framed by a black background and a combinations of an assortment of bright colors and echoes of silhouettes of people dancing. Overall, it was a fun , lighthearted video.

Tacita Dean - Bag of Air, 1995:

In this video there, there is a quick shot of a hot air balloon. Then, for the rest of the video, there is a person holding a small plastic bag, trapping wind and tying it back up. During the black and white video she tells us about the process of keeping air in a balloon. This was a very eerie video.

Shirin Neshat Video art inspirational project:

In my opinion, this video was beautifully lit. The whole setting is complete darkness except for two spotlights that illuminated a woman and a man. The was the the light fell on them made dark shadows against the white wall. I think that the simplicity was the most impressive to me.

Candice Breitz - Legend:

This was the most interesting video. It was a recording of many tv monitors playing people in each monitor singing the same song in unison. This was interesting take on singing in a group while also singing alone. It was also very interesting to hear all of the different voices sing the same song.

GREEN PINK CAVIAR, MARILYN MINTER 2009 (OFFICIAL LONG VERSION):

This video was gross. It was basically a woman's mouth licking different things off of a clear surface. With that being said, this is my favorite from all of the other artist’s videos that I watched.  The textures made the video seem grotesque while the colors made it very intriguing and hard to look away from.

Comments

Popular Posts